Scientist II, Biochemistry
Ikena Oncology (NASDAQ: IKNA) is a targeted oncology company focused on developing cancer therapies targeting key signaling pathways that drive the formation and spread of cancer. Ikena is advancing five programs that include four product candidates in either clinical development or IND-enabling studies and has a global strategic collaboration with Bristol Myers Squibb.
We are seeking a highly talented entry level biochemist to contribute to progressing our early discovery projects. He/she would join an innovative, scientifically rigorous and fast paced team focused on developing breakthrough cancer therapies. The successful candidate will bring a sense of urgency and commitment to help Ikena Oncology reach its potential and deliver novel patient-directed therapeutics to patients.
- Apply biochemistry and enzymology skills to characterize small molecule interactions with targets in order to drive drug discovery programs
- Hands-on design, establishing, and execution of biochemical and biophysical assays to support lead generation and optimization
- Characterize protein and enzyme kinetics for discovery programs and kinetics of small molecule inhibition
- Determine inhibitor MOA using a variety of techniques available in-house and outsourced
- Partner with CROs to develop biochemical, biophysical, and enzymatic assays
- Collaborate with other Ikena functional teams to build translational understanding between biochemical findings and other disciplines
- Present research activities at internal and external meetings
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or similar discipline with 2-5 years of post-doctoral experience or Master’s degree with at least 8 years of relevant experience in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company
- Demonstrated expertise in developing, trouble shooting and running biochemistry, biophysical, and enzyme assays, including fluorescence-based (HTRF, FP), SPR, NMR, and ITC
- Experience with protein design, expression, and purification
- A passion for designing and executing lab experiments to generate impactful data and specifically test scientific hypotheses
- Experience with automation and HTS instrumentation preferred but not required
- Skilled in data analysis and visualization (Spotfire, Vortex)
Personal attributes: team oriented, goal-driven, organized, highly collaborative, open-minded, data-driven, creative, persistent in the face of obstacles and uncertainty, flexible, self-aware of strengths and weaknesses, objective in the evaluation of data and strongly optimistic about overcoming challenges.