Ikena Oncology (NASDAQ: IKNA) is a targeted oncology company focused on developing cancer therapies targeting key signaling pathways that drive the formation and spread of cancer. Ikena is advancing five programs that include four product candidates in either clinical development or IND-enabling studies and has a global strategic collaboration with Bristol Myers Squibb.
Ikena has an exciting new opportunity for an experienced and motivated person to be involved with our medicinal chemistry projects as a Scientist I/Scientist II Medicinal Chemist. You will work closely with the chemistry lead and be responsible for designing and troubleshooting outsourced synthetic medicinal chemistry experiments and provide insight into SAR development for the discovery of novel small molecules. You will utilize your scientific and synthetic knowledge to advance small molecule drug discovery projects from program initiation to selection of development candidates as well as assist in the growth of an exciting precision medicines company.
- You will be responsible for troubleshooting synthetic chemistry challenges and devise synthetic chemistry plans at contract research organizations
- Contribute to the design and synthesis of focused compound libraries to support programs from early to late lead optimization
- Oversee outsourced syntheses of final compound and synthetic intermediates to support Discovery program needs
- Contribute to lead optimization efforts related to ADME/PK properties
- Contribute to the development and upkeep of departmental databases (CDD, MOSAIC)
- Communicate, collaborate, and coordinate effectively with cross-functional Discovery and Nonclinical teams
- Additional duties and responsibilities as required
- PhD in synthetic organic chemistry with 2+ years of drug discovery experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry or MSc in synthetic organic chemistry with 6+ years of drug discovery experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry
- Proven ability in designing synthetic routes and troubleshooting of synthetic chemistry problems
- Experience in identifying and managing chemistry CROs
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills that motivate and inspire others to achieve corporate scientific objectives
- A passion and sense of urgency for delivering important new therapies to patients is essential