Scientist I/II, Biochemistry
Ikena Oncology (NASDAQ: IKNA) is a clinical-stage, targeted oncology company that discovers and develops biomarker-driven therapies for cancer patients who need life-saving treatment, by understanding what drives their disease. Ikena is advancing five clinical, preclinical, and discovery programs and has a global strategic collaboration with Bristol Myers Squibb. Since inception, Ikena has raised over $300 million from leading life sciences investors and companies that include Atlas Venture, OrbiMed, BMS, Fidelity, Omega Funds, Surveyor Capital (a Citadel company), Invus, Farallon Capital Management, BVF Partners, Cowen Healthcare Investments, Logos Capital, and HealthCor Management. Ikena priced its IPO in March 2021 and trades on the NASDAQ (Ticker: IKNA).
We are seeking a highly talented biochemist to contribute to progressing our early discovery projects. He/she would join an innovative, scientifically rigorous, and fast paced team focused on developing breakthrough cancer therapies. The successful candidate will bring a sense of urgency and commitment to help Ikena Oncology reach its potential and deliver novel patient-directed therapeutics to patients.
- Apply biochemistry and enzymology skills to characterize small molecule interactions with targets, in order to drive drug discovery programs
- Hands-on design, establishment, and execution of biochemical and biophysical assays to support lead generation and optimization
- Characterize protein and enzyme kinetics for discovery programs and kinetics of small molecule inhibition
- Determine inhibitor MOA using a variety of techniques available in-house and outsourced
- Partner with CROs to develop biochemical, biophysical, and enzymatic assays
- Collaborate with other Ikena functional teams to build translational understanding between biochemical findings and other disciplines
- Present research activities at internal and external meetings
- Additional duties and responsibilities as required
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or similar discipline with 2-5 years of post-doctoral experience or Masters’ degree with at least 8 years of relevant experience in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company
- Demonstrated expertise in developing, trouble shooting, and running biochemistry, biophysical, and enzyme assays, including fluorescence-based (HTRF, FP), SPR, NMR, and ITC
- Experience with protein design, expression, and purification
- A passion for designing and executing lab experiments to generate impactful data and specifically test scientific hypotheses
- Experience with automation and HTS instrumentation preferred but not required
- Skilled in data analysis and visualization (Spotfire, Vortex)
Personal attributes: team oriented, goal-driven, organized, highly collaborative, open-minded, data-driven, creative, persistent in the face of obstacles and uncertainty, flexible, self-aware of strengths and weaknesses, objective in the evaluation of data and strongly optimistic about overcoming challenges.