Ikena Oncology is a clinical-stage biotechnology company that discovers and develops patient-directed, biomarker-driven therapies for cancer patients who need life-saving treatment, by understanding what drives their disease. Ikena is advancing five clinical, preclinical, and discovery programs. Ikena has entered into a global strategic collaboration with Bristol Myers Squibb and raised capital from top tier investors OrbiMed Advisors and Atlas Venture.
Ikena Oncology is seeking a highly motivated and organized individual with a desire to contribute to the development of new cancer treatments. The successful candidate will play a key role both in the preclinical development of small molecule therapeutics and oversee the management of our lab and vivarium. Approximately 80% of the role will involve managing vivarium and lab operations, including oversight of the animal husbandry program, ordering supplies and animals, performing daily health checks, and maintaining equipment. You will also be responsible for supporting in vitro and in vivo experiments by working closely with other team members.
- Ensure that all laboratory equipment is properly functioning; coordinate preventative maintenance, repair, and purchase of equipment; maintain service contracts
- Direct oversight of the animal husbandry program – daily health and food/water checks, provide enrichment, coordinate cage change schedule, maintain animal census, support facility sanitation and environmental testing; Ensure adherence to IACUC standards; Order animals, caging and food; Complete and maintain all applicable logs and check sheets
- Emergency response/emergency preparedness – responsible for action plan to respond to facility equipment failures to ensure animal welfare, avoid interruption to animal studies and/or facility shutdowns
- Oversee all aspects of safety, including tracking/managing of chemicals and hazardous materials, establishing and facilitating PPE policy, coordinating laboratory safety inspections, and working with external safety support providers
- Coordinate with IT to ensure computers, data collection software and associated equipment are functioning in the lab and vivarium
- Maintain organization of the lab and any lab systems, such as freezer organization; order and stock consumables in the lab and vivarium; coordinate pick up of biohazardous waste; support lab team with shipping and receiving samples
- Support execution of in vitro and of in vivo studies under the guidance of senior team members, as needed
- B.S. in a life science with 2+ years of lab management experience in an industry setting
- Must be proficient in handling small laboratory animals
- Experience handling BSL-2 materials, hazardous chemicals and waste, and compressed gas
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with excellent teamwork and collaboration skills
- Strong time management skills and ability to multi-task effectively
- Occasional weekend work may be required
Personal attributes: team oriented, goal-driven, organized, highly collaborative, open-minded, data-driven, creative, persistent in the face of obstacles and uncertainty, flexible, self-aware of strengths and weaknesses, objective in the evaluation of data and strongly optimistic about overcoming obstacles.