Director, Strategic Pipeline Planning
Ikena Oncology is a targeted oncology company that discovers and develops biomarker-driven therapies for cancer patients who need life-saving treatment, by understanding what drives their disease. Ikena is advancing five clinical, preclinical, and discovery programs and has a global strategic collaboration with Bristol Myers Squibb. We have raised capital from top tier investors OrbiMed Advisors and Atlas Ventures and recently announced the closing of a $120M in an oversubscribed Series B financing.
The Director, Strategic Pipeline Planning will play a critical role in the long-term growth of Ikena as the company moves additional programs into the clinic and further builds discovery programs in the targeted oncology space. This newly created role, reporting to the Chief Business Officer, will be responsible for leading strategic projects, competitive intelligence, and market research in support of Ikena’s existing and future pipeline, as well as corporate goals. The incumbent will collaborate closely with a cross-functional team including research & development, business development, and senior leadership to inform and drive strategic business decisions.
- Lead in-depth strategic projects in response to opportunities and business needs, including framing strategic issues, conducting qualitative and quantitative analysis, and proposing recommendations
- Lead market research activities (primary and secondary research) to gain understanding of current and future treatment landscape and unmet needs, as well as to support prioritization and execution of existing and future pipeline programs
- Proactively monitor and analyze competitive intelligence, including tracking of competitor molecules and selected tumor indications, to support and advance Ikena’s position in the competitive landscape
- Engage members of R&D, clinical development, finance, business development, and other groups to gather input relevant to new programs
- Communicate market and competitive insights to relevant internal stakeholders, and identify considerations/implications for strategic decision making
- Present strategic project findings to management and cross-functional teams
- As needed, manage external consultants and assist in the evaluation of business development opportunities
- Advanced life science degree (MS or PhD). MBA a plus
- 7-10 years of experience in relevant areas such as strategy consulting, venture capital, business intelligence, corporate strategy, market insights & analytics, and new product planning
- Prior work in oncology preferred
- Strong strategic thinking skills are required
- Experience working in and collaborating with cross-functional teams
- Strong organizational and communication skills, and the ability to influence without authority
- Comfortable navigating complexity and ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Must be a team player and able to earn the trust, credibility and respect of colleagues across multiple functions
- Strong work ethic and high level of energy, focus, and passion
Personal attributes: team oriented, goal-driven, organized, highly collaborative, open-minded, data-driven, creative, persistent in the face of obstacles and uncertainty, flexible, self-aware of strengths and weaknesses, objective in the evaluation of data and strongly optimistic about overcoming obstacles.